Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Help a tournament newbie out...

Please take it easy on the newbie... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I've been playing .50/1 and 1/2 limit cash games moderately successfully for the past several years. I'm not making enough to make a living, but I haven't reloaded my PP account in quite a while either.

I am trying to make the transition to NL tourneys, but I'm having a lot of trouble with betting my hands properly. This happened tonight and is a perfect example:

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> (t1395)
MP2 (t1360)
MP3 (t2015)
CO (t1100)
Button (t1375)
SB (t3055)
BB (t3775)
Hero (t1290)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t150</font>, UTG+1 calls t150, MP1 <font color="#A500AF">(Villian)</font> calls t150, MP2 calls t150, MP3 calls t150, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>.

Flop: (t825) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1140 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 folds, Villian calls t1140, MP2 folds, MP3 folds.

Turn: (t3105) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: (t3105) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3105

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 9d 9h (one pair, nines).
Villian has 4d 4s (three of a kind, fours).
Outcome: Villian wins t3105. </font>

Here is what I am thinking, and I hope you will tell me where I am going wrong... (nicely, please!)

1) 9, 9 is a raise in a limit game, marginally so UTG, but I would be prepared to lay it down if a reraise or huge flop came about. Extending that theory to NLHE, I figure 3x BB is good here.

2) This was the first hand with this many callers, usually 2 or 3 go to the flop. This surprised me. But for some (stupid!) reason, it didn't scare me.

3) Now after the flop, I was thinking that I probably had the best hand. Anything from AA down to JJ should have reraised me preflop. So, I pushed.

Of course villian's pocket 4s crush me.

My fundamental low/micro-limit strategy has been bet when you have the best hand, which I'm beginning to realize isn't right in the NL world. So what should I have done, and why?

Thanks!