Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who do I start at QB?
T. Romo Vs. Ind 2 25.00%
M. Bulger @ Stl 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Re: Freewill

[ QUOTE ]
My arguement against free will can be summised in one paragrarh;

Question:
If u were George Bush would you have done ANYTHING differently? Would you have thought or acted or felt in any way differently to him?

Answer:
No. If u were Bush u would have felt exactly the same as him and acted based on these feelings in exactly the same way.

This proves that as entities we have no ability to change our path.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is known as begging the question. If it is true that we have no free will then you are probably correct - George Bush would always do as George Bush did. The thing is, you're trying to prove that, so you cant just assume it to be true. You have to go further back - assuming you dont know if George Bush would always have chosen the same, can you prove he would have from more primitive assumptions?

[ QUOTE ]
I think of the human as a computer system which will always make decisions that they think (experience + IQ determines thinking power) will benefit them most.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps this premise can be tightened up and lead to the conclusion you want. However, there are plenty of people who deny the truth of this premise. Do you think it's self-evident that humans are computer systems which will always make decisions that they think will benefit them most?