Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Odd Question About Alcohol

I was wondering if any of you ever considered this rather unconventional view about alcohol (I started thinking about it because of the smoking thread). I suppose if you don't believe in any set of morals then this does not really apply to you.

For those of you that do believe in some set of morals, please hear me out. Drunkenness obviously impairs the brains ability to make decisions. A drunk person is less able to decide what would be a good decision and what would be a bad decision. Furthermore, drunk people would be less able to discern between moral decisions and immoral decisions. Assuming the person generally tries to make moral decisions when sober, it would seem that being drunk would lead to significantly more bad, immoral decisions that will be regretted once sober. Is it then immoral to get drunk, to deliberately and artificially increase the chance that you engage in immoral/stupid activity? I'm not saying this to be judgmental; I'm curious if anyone has considered/taken this position before.