Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-11-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Re: \"opening up\" at uNL = drop in bb/100?

I'm still playing 25NL because of BR considerations. My wife and I are both in school and money is tight. We agreed a year and a half ago that I could deposit $90.00 on Stars, but that was it. If I lost it, then no more poker.

I was a 2NL grinder for nearly a year before I moved to 5NL.

By this last July I was playing 10NL and had grown my roll to $250.00. I was crushing the tables with my nittish 15/9/3 ways, so I decided to take a shot at 25NL even though I was under rolled. It was at this same time that I decided to "open up my range."

I've finally grown my roll to where I'm "properly" rolled for 25NL. I've considered taking an under rolled shot at 50NL, but for Christmas I'm giving myself a subscription to Cradrunners (or Stox, haven't decided) and when I do that I'll be under rolled for 25NL again. I don't mind that, but there's no way I'm taking a shot at 50NL with a 5 buy-in roll.

I still feel like I have a skill edge over my opponents. Even playing 18/12/3 I don't find myself in too many situations where it's after the flop and I don't know what to do. I'm comfortable using pot control in marginal situations, and I understand that sometimes, based on my opponent's likely range, I'll find myself occasionally calling a value bet or folding to a bluff. The only real place I think I'm weak is checking behind on the river too much rather than value betting.

I might tighten back up. Probably not, though. It's kind of fun "splashing around" at 18/12/3. LOL! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]