Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: should i continue playing poker? lost my bankroll 3 times but bro

Hey Blitz,

I read your post and suggest that you continue playing. With that said, however, there are some things that I have a feeling you know you should do that you aren't:

1) Poker isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. You've shown that you can build a bankroll from meager beginnings, but then blast it away when you lose a few sessions. You can't change a previous result by moving up in limits and attempting to get it back. More often than not, you are going to extend that losing streak due to tilt, bad play or simply bad luck. I've fallen victim to that thought before and, thankfully, have been able to discipline myself to not do it now.

2) If you realize you are tilting, that's the time to shut off the poker room and do something else. Read, watch TV, go out with friends, whatever...just don't head back to the tables until you have your mental faculties back in control. This is something that players constantly have to balance and it is always a struggle.

I've been in the mood to play frequently and completely shut my poker games down if I realize that tilt is clouding my judgment. Once again, something that is extremely difficult to do but needs to be done sometimes.

3. Don't feel like you HAVE to play. Poker should be enjoyable, even if you are playing for money. Once you lose that enjoyment, then it becomes old fast.

There have been some great bankroll requirement suggestions here as well as tracking methods. Use those...then you should be able to get an idea of whether you are successful or not.

There is a reason that poker players are called "grinders". Sometimes that's what it takes to be a continued success in the game, whether you win a little or quite a bit or lose the same. It is a long term effort, not a two or three week (or month) span.

Keep playing and let us know how you do.