Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-08-2007, 10:06 AM

Default Re: .50/1.00

Agreed with everybody else on the free card play. I play .5/1 FR at Stars, and the free card play is one of those lines that I hardly ever use anymore. There are a couple of reasons why:

1. As mentioned, there are a lot of TAGs at this level who can recognize this play and who will either 3-bet the flop and lead the turn or who will call your flop raise and stop-and-go the turn. There are also a few oblivious players who will suddenly wake up and donk the turn into you even if the TAG who led the flop action slows down. But mainly its the TAG-ish multitablers who foil this line.

2. I've never played .25/.5, but I guess .5/1 is probably tighter. It's not like this game is squeeky-tight or anything, but it's very common to be in pots that are HU or 3-way to the flop, and then HU going into the turn. You shouldn't be using the free card play often in those situations because your fold equity is way too high. Even if your opponent checked to you on the turn, you'd often want to decline the free card anyway. In a HU pot, I'll often raise the flop and take a free card if offered on the turn with a hand with showdown value, like the nut flush draw, but with run-of-the-mill drawing hands it's probably better to semibluff the turn instead of forfeiting all your fold equity by taking a free card.

TAGs + shorthanded pots = not many profitable applications of the FCP.

Edit: By the way, this is the reason why you should often give heavy flop action when you're in position with a strong hand. It seems to me that many players consistently misread flop raises as draws whereas they read call-flop/raise-turn as big hands. If you play your big hands fast on the flop, you'll often extract more bets than if you get cute and slowplay to the turn.