Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2007, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Let\'s ask Ron Paul supporters to write letters on our behalf

[ QUOTE ]
I made a donation and joined when they first started up, but have not and will not give anything to what is no more than a letter writing campaigne. Sorry, if they start a group that has real teeth i might once again donate.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to reply, but I have to reply to points relating to what we're doing here on this forum.

First of all, how is this only a "letter writing campaign"? PPA has done extensive lobbying, especially during the beginning of this year. Look it up.

Our letter writing (2+2 members, PPA, and others) augments this work, and the efforts go hand in hand.

[ QUOTE ]
Without something to back up our pleas I don't understand how you can think a group can effect change. PPA has nothing to offer, not votes or endorements or money. You know as well as i do that to make things happen you have to have something to give back. What is it that PPA offers?

[/ QUOTE ]

PPA has 800,000 young, energized voters who aren't aligned as a group with either party. How is that "nothing to offer?" I think you overrate endorsements by a great deal. Perhaps you should have come to D.C. for the Fly-In to see how things are being handled. If you met with John Pappas and D'Amato, I imagine they would have hired you to run PPA, as you clearly have all the answers that they don't. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Also, I think you (and many here) overrate the importance the rest of America places on UIGEA. We have people, but we have to earn the respect of Congress. Even critics of PPA like D$D will vouch for PPA's lobbyists and the lobbying effort.

[ QUOTE ]
When i said noble work by the way i emant it. I do respect your drive in this but I also realize that writing letters that never gets read are a waste of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late for that. You already said you have no respect for me.

As to your comment about letters....proof please (opinions doesn't count). My letters to Congress were read. That was confirmed for me when I met with McConnell's staff and when I met with Rep. Geoff Davis' staff. Both staffs kidded me about the volume of letters I wrote, in fact, and both were clearly familiar with what I wrote. Also the book The Lobbyists discusses in detail the importance of letters and phone calls when combined with lobbying. And, our lobbyists told me our letters and phone calls are extremely important.

So, why would you try to tell us to stop writing letters when you have NO IDEA how effective writing is??? It's not good enough that you THINK they aren't read, or that you THINK they are replied to by interns.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you would consider starting a real group with real power. One that can give something back to those that stick their neck out for poker and PPA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you start up such a group? You know...one with REAL POWER. LOL. Seems you know it all and have all the answers. I hope it's successful.