Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-05-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Contraversial AC Related Thread (TL;PR)

[ QUOTE ]

wtfsvi argues that if I pick an apple from a tree to eat it, and he tricks me and thereby takes it away from me, I have no right wrestle it away from him again, as it isn't my apple.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not agreeing with him on that. It's a valid preference, but his notion of what rights you have/don't have are merely that (preference).

[ QUOTE ]

Consider this: Instead of merely picking the apple, a farmer buys some land, plants apple trees, fertilises the ground and shields the fruits from pest. He buys a truck, rents some space in a market place in a city and sets up a stand so people can enjoy the fruits in exchange for other goods that the farmer values higher than his apples (which he has plenty of) but they value less. Would there be apples without his labour? Does wtfsvi own the apple as much as the farmer does, because the apple is not a part of the farmer's body, but he only created it using his body, which he mixed with natural resources?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Not by most social norms/standards. And I think property rights social/legal norms are a good thing as long as they're kept in moderation and not taken to the extreme such as ACists like to take them.