Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Don\'t raise AK preflop, ever acceptable?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, for those of you that characterized AK as "a crappy but pretty hand" and "a relatively weak holding" I can only say that it has consistenly been one of the most profitable hands for me over hundreds of thousands of hands. This is in line with the experience of many if nor most other players as well. If it appears "crappy but pretty" to you you may wish to consider if you are maximizing its value....say by cranking it up pre-flop and semi-bluffing small pocket pairs OOP who have missed the flop, and who most of the board looks scary to.

Check when you miss on a coordinated board or against multiple opponents, unless they are weak-tight.

As far as the poster suggesting that he likes to call down AK, I assume you like calling down AA KK QQ JJ and sets with your middle pair as well. AK is part of an overall balanced and aggressive strategy that encourages middle pair calls. I assure you i will not be on a bluff train often enough for it to be profitable for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it doesn't mean I will always call down with middle pair, against holdings like a big pocket pair.

I just go with my reads most of the time.

I do not need 55 different math equations to tell me when someone is pushing AK.

I also do not play on the internet, so I imagine this does make a difference.

You know what, everybody has their own opinion on the hand and their way to play it, and I guess it comes down to what is best and most comfortable to you, unless you are constantly losing with AK or mucking it repeatedly after a big/ no preflop raise. If this is the case you need to change the way you are playing the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

The game I play is played with the cards face down. I assure you you cannot tell the difference between the way I play AA KK AK QQ JJ and sets on many boards because I deliberately play them the same-- quite aggressively in position, to either bully people and/or encourage looser action. Its a cop out to just say "I know when you got AK, and I'm going call you down." I'm an experienced poker player and I know that reads rarely work this way. And in my experience playing however you feel comfortable is a recipe for complete disaster. It far more "comfortable" to limp and call, rather than pushing the action with preflop raises and post flop aggression. In other word, "comfortable" is basically a losing strategy. You may not be "comfortable" with treating AK as a powerful hand, but it just means you are leaving money on the table.