Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2007, 05:30 PM

Default Are Player to Player Transfers illegal under the UIEGA?

You are essentially funding someone's poker account when you do a transfer. I tried to do some research to see if this was discussed anywhere.

According to this article:
http://www.firstamendment.com/UIEGA.html

[ QUOTE ]
In order to establish a violation of the UIGEA, it must be shown that:

(1) A “person” was engaged in the business of betting or wagering;

(2) That person knowingly accepted a financial instrument or proceeds thereof; and,

(3) That instrument was accepted (by the person) in connection with the participation

of another person in “unlawful Internet gambling.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at the first one carefully. Does this mean if you aren't in the business of wagering or betting it is ok to do a transfer, but if you file as a professional and it is your sole or main means of support it is illegal to do a transfer?

If this has been discussed before here then I apologize but I think it is worthy of discussion.

What about this site? Are they aiding and abetting the people in the business of betting or wagering (professional poker players) by offering a p2p thread for people to initiate and solicit transfers from others?

If you read that article you can get a good idea of just how [censored] up this law is. It is confusing, which leads to "creative" prosecutions. I'm sure this law will stand for a long time but how can anyone intelligent read it and think its ambiguity won't be used in a way to put innocent people in jail?