Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: DVD Discussion: Before Sunrise

[ QUOTE ]
However, this movie(s) is so powerful for me, that I wanted to put my thoughts in, especially considering it was my DVD Club selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was your DVD Club selection?! And you're only now commenting on it? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Lol.

You touched on so many great points which I'd love to respond to. Not sure I have time now or not. If I don't get to them all I will try to later today.

As you know I love these movies. For me it isn't as much about the romance as it is about the power behind connecting with a true friend. The awesome rapport, the quick dialogue where you can tell that the two really enjoy each other and want to hear more. It is that rare instance where 2 lonely people meet someone who for whatever reason makes them feel important and interesting and makes them laugh. Just looking at pictures of the two together brings a smile to my face. The connection and sheer sense of wonder is amazing. (Right now I'm thinking about Jesse watching Celine in the apartment as she plays the guitar. Wow.)

[ QUOTE ]

For what it’s worth, I think that I talk like this a lot and it annoys some of my friends. Sometimes it becomes “too much” for them. I would absolutely love to be able to talk freely and interact back and forth with someone in a way the setting of the movie depicts. They’re so free in their thoughts and with each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love people who think about life, relationships and motivations. I miss having someone like that in my life. I used to but not much anymore. I sort of like that back and forth banter, sort of like batting a tennis ball across a net, something about it that I find fascinating and fun. I don't find that in many people and when I do I really treasure it. What I like about Celine and Jesse is that they are so honest and talk with ease, like they are very old childhood friends. I like that. I still reject the notion that Jesse is "hiding" anything from Celine, or at least not being completely open about his marriage. I just reject that idea because for me it makes the entire movie insincere and I can't wrap my mind around that.

Anyway, I know I'm repeating myself but I would love to have this kind of friendship, even without the physcial side. Like Solo says, there's an intimacy that is heartwarming and exciting. I've experienced a similar type of intimacy like it myself and it is a wonderful high.

[ QUOTE ]

Which leads me to another topic of interest when talking about these movies. I appreciate Before Sunset. I think it’s brilliant and the way in which it was directed. I can see the emotion, the tension. It is a thing of beauty. My problem is that I simply can’t relate to it on the level that the rest of the Loungers seem to. I don’t have enough life experience in these sorts of matters to really feel it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had a "what if" situation in my life. I think about my ex from time to time and I miss him. He and I talked a lot. Occasionally when I'm driving in my car, or walking across a campus, I will think about him and wonder if my life would have been better if we had stayed together. We had something pretty special. I could call him up right now and we would slip right back into our groove. There would be no awkwardness or bitterness. We were completely on the same wavelength whether talking about life's disappointments, politics, our funny fights, family members. We talked a lot like Jesse and Celine. I miss that.

[ QUOTE ]

Her hair is falling across her face and Jesse cannot see her. He starts to reach down to brush the hair out of the way so he can see her face, just as she sits up. She notices this motion and immediately pulls her hair back. I’ve always loved that scene because it strikes me as something that most guys wouldn’t do. I don’t know, something about it seemed intimate, which was a big hook for me in believing his legitimate interest in her so early in the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Girls love this kind of intimacy. Most guys won't do this sort of thing (brush the hair out of your face) because it's a very intimate move. It shows a girl that a guy is really interested and if the girl doesn't feel the same way back it's awkward. However, if the girl feels the same attraction then it's a very great move.