Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-02-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Did the US Nuke Syria?

Alleged Syrian Site:

Nagasaki:

My problem is with the scale. See those rings on the Nagasaki picture? That first one is 1000 feet away from isocenter.

There is not a scale on the Syria photo, but the damage is very similar. On the Nagasaki picture you can see buildings that are partially leveled at the 1000 feet mark.

On the Syria photo, you can also see a partially leveled building that has debris scattered away from the center crater. I don't know if that is a crater, it's hard to see details on such a small image. I saw another image that suggested the hole to be more square, so I can't say for sure.

We know that Nagasaki was about 11 Kilotons. That's about as low a yeild as you are going to get from a tactical nuke, as well. There is a suggestion on the syria photo of pretty uniform destruction within a certain radius. The two photos are not to the same scale, either. Note the 45 degree structure on the right side. It seems closer to the center in the after image than the before image. Maybe there is rubble in the same shape in the second image, though. There also seems to be evidence of a blast wave rolling down the hills in all directions and at least partially burying the land features apparent in the first photo. Then again, the sun is also at a different angle.

Hard to say. I doubt anyone is going to let anything get out that is more detailed than what we have.

Is it possible?

Yes.

Can't say for sure.

One thing, though. This is an isolated site. If someone wanted to send a message to someone else through a proxy state, this certainly fits the bill.

There is another possiblity, however. That is, an accidental detonation of something on the ground. I don't even want to think about what that means.

Edit: here is a news story from shortly after the alleged incident. The photos suggest the hole in the middle of the picture to be more square.