Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2007, 05:38 PM

Default mid-late game adjustments

I've found that stealing the blinds and antes is more difficult in certain situations in the lower buy in tournament. Does anybody else agree? A big reason that many of these players are "stuck" playing in low stakes is because they play too many hands, or do not understand basic concepts such as vigorish, position, or the gap concept.

Since they ignore basic strategies, you'll generally get less respect from a raise and get looked up more. While this is probably heavily outweighed by your opponents' terrible postflop play, it's hard to steal from someone who doesn't understand the respective value of their hands and the reasons why they should probably fold. If it's harder to steal since these opponents won't fold marginal hands as often, how do you adjust? I've been in several positions where I'm the big stack in the mid-late tournament and my steal and bullying attempts simply do not work because people will not fold. Note that I am not talking about bluffing necessarily, but PF aggression w/ the intention of merely taking down the blinds and antes. A big part of the equity of raising w/ 109s in the CO is the high % chance that the blinds will simply fold (obviously position is also a large part of your hand's value). Thoughts/comments?