Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2007, 11:47 AM

Default A-Rod and 2008

Bodog currently has the prop bet:

What team will Alex Rodriguez be playing for on Opening Day '08?

Here are the odds and their associated percentages:

Boston Red Sox 11/2 (15.38%)
Chicago Cubs 4/1 (20%)
Detroit Tigers 5/1 (16.67%)
Los Angeles Angels 3/1 (25%)
Los Angeles Dodgers 7/2 (22.22%)
New York Mets 8/1 (11.11%)
New York Yankees 5/1 (16.67%)
Philadelphia Phillies 9/1 (10%)
San Francisco Giants 10/1 (9.09%)
Field (Any Other Team) 5/2 (28.6%)

First, I will give my standard warning that I am somewhat of a square when it comes to analyzing these things, but I want to generate a discussion.

Right off the bat, we should be able to take a few of these off the board because they are either extremely unlikely or bad bets. I'll mention the bad bets and the square logic that will likely induce poor odds. We'll also assume that the only 2 possible positions for ARod are 3B and SS.

- Yankees claim they will not renegotiate with him.
- Mets have Wright and Reyes, so 11.11% chance is way too high.
- I think LAA is a strong possibility, but I don't like getting only 3:1. This line obviously compensates for the fact that everyone is saying "OMG ARod will play for LAA because they have the payroll and need for a 3B."
- LAD is also a possibility - another big market team with a need for a 3B and Torre as the likely manager. 22% chance is too high.
- "OMG Cubs have Piniella and maybe ARod will want to reunite with him." The Cubs ownership situation is still up in the air and I don't think there's even close to a 20% chance ARod signs with them.

I'm really unsure about Boston and Detroit. Boston will potentially have a need for a 3B considering Lowell will be a FA, and they have the money, but I'm not sure ARod would want to play there. Detroit could use a 3B and they have money, but I don't like 5:1.

This really leaves me with only a few bets I would consider:

Philadelphia Phillies 9/1 (10%)
San Francisco Giants 10/1 (9.09%)
Field (Any Other Team) 5/2 (28.6%)

Philies have money, they're a good team, and need a 3B. SF has the money, needs a 3B, and may be looking to fill the "Bonds gap." The bet I like most is the field. There are 21 teams not listed - most of which have smaller payrolls, however. I think if there is any value here, it's probably on the field. I really hate betting on any of those above teams mentioned frequently in the media as potential ARod landing spots because I suspect Bodog would give insufficient odds on them.

Now, here's the part where you tell me my logic is bad. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Edit: WTF, Bodog just closed this prop for betting.