Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Re: Zeitgeist part I - \"The Greatest Story Ever Told\" (Christianity,et

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think the reason the revelations prophecies are so "chilling" is because history repeats itself, whether it be the roman occupation of the jerusalem, Nero's oppressive reign, the final battle at armageddon (a historic site in israel which has held more recorded battles than any other place in the ancient world), all of it has already happened. the rest of it has logical, historical explanations but they aren't coming to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a lot of Christians that believe that most of Revelation already occurred with respect to the reign of Nero. They (generally) believe that Christ is yet to come.

These are called partial preterists. Full preterists (or just preterists) believe that Christ has already returned. I have explored both and remain undecided due to the complexity of overlaying the text with history.

[/ QUOTE ]

the reason that they overlay so much is that the bible is a moral book, not a historical one. i am an atheist, i have read some of the bible and i agree it is a great moral book. the stories are well written, cover moral dilemmas that survive the ages, but are not historic. the reason these "prophecies" seem to have already happened but are also yet to happen is because human nature has us repeat these same situations covered in many religious texts.