Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: assani ruining the SE forum

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Aside from all the onlaught and countdown stuff, which is basically him not realizing that 2p2 is not a good target for this, the reason that Assani isn't liked in SE is that he makes a lot of controversial arguments that go against the common 2p2 groupthink of solely using a few advanced statistical measures to make your point. Usually, when someone tries to argue that Brady is better than Manning, it's easy for someone like Sublime or Thayer to respond with "haha, dvoa blah blah, youre an idiot." However, that doesn't work on Assani because he is calm, relentless and attacks those numbers with at least some semblance of logic. That means that they can't shut him up, and actually have to work a little to defend their arguments as opposed to making a standard one-line insult. I'm not saying these guys aren't smart or don't know what they're talking about, but compare their feelings on Assani to the feelings of people who usually make civil, thought-out posts like Tuq and PokerFink.

[/ QUOTE ]
See that is the ideal Assani, but in reality he makes ridiculous arguments where he contradicts himself. A really good example of this is the Nash thread (I'm too lazy to dig them up because there are 893498398443948 of them). Where he argues Nash is valuable because of X and Kobe isn't valuable for the same X.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am not saying his logic is flawless and he likely has condradicted himself before, but it's hard not to trip up somewhere when you make as many long posts as he does. I'm sure if I went through everyone's posts, virtually no one would be perfectly consistent, but Assani is an easy target because he stands out so much. I'm just amazed that so many people want to ban someone who makes detailed arguments, defends them when called out on, isn't afraid to admit when he's wrong, and posts in a civilized manner.

Note that I usually disagree with what he says and find it frustrating that the more knowledgable people in SE often can't win against him.