Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Re: Moronic Driving Episodes

This is a little bit different, but it's not worth a new thread, so here it goes. There's a fairly busy road near me that used to have to lanes of traffic in each direction and no turn lane. So people turning left into businesses have to stop in a traffic lane to wait for their turn. Like so:

Recently they did some construction, put in a new shopping complex and a light at one point along the road, and decided to repave the whole length of the road. When they painted it, imagine my dismay to find the new road looking like this:

Now there's one extra-wide driving lane in each direction - seriously, it's like Kramer adopted the road - and a turn lane. Is there any way the road isn't strictly worse off? Before, the two inside traffic lanes acted as defacto turn lanes, except you could travel in them when nobody in front of you was turning. Even worse, there's a Wendy's along there that gets slammed at lunch, and the drive through line spills out into traffic. No you can't just swing out into the other lane to go around.

Something is decidedly moronic, either me for not figuring out how the new lane structure is better, or the traffic engineer for making it worse.