Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-29-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: (Re)Writing a New Constitution

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you want the government to protect the free market, you simply do not encroach on the free market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where’s the freedom in allowing monopolies to run rampant in the absence of government anti-trust regulation?

Where’s the freedom in making factory or mine workers wage slaves because we don’t have enough jobs to go around and employers won’t provide fair wages or safe working conditions on their own free will?

Where’s the freedom in letting fraudulent and unsafe products reach the market because we cannot let the government regulate the free market?

Since the 1st Wal-Mart opened where I live in 1987 my local retail market has lost something like 15 other retail stores that sold some or all of Wal-Mart's product lines. This isn't competition; it's predation. As a consequence my freedom as a consumer has decreased while my cost as a consumer has increased.

If you value freedom you should be as opposed to central economic planning from Wall Street as you are from Pennsylvania Avenue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tried to say this...monopolies are anti-free market. They seek to stifle competition and innovation (from outside sources). While they may be an end result of capitalism, they are not desirable because a monopoly no longer wins the game on its own merits but on the fact that it controls the market. Therefore, they are mostly undesirable.

A free-er market encourages competition, innovatation, and ideas. Monopolies do not. Generally, they only seek to serve their won good.

Capitalism does not necessarily equal free market. We are headed towards a time when small businesses will be phased out of existence. The stifling of innovation that will result with be the antithesis of the American dream and the beginning of the end of America's economic superpower status.