Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Persuade rather than Therefore

[ QUOTE ]
The best we can do is provide observations, insights, allegories, metaphors, and "reasons" which persuade us to believe as we do. Notice such a belief is then personal and subjective. Not everyone need be so persuaded. Reasonable people can disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Everything posted here is "open to challenge and examination".

[/ QUOTE ]

Even the subjective and personal ones? And how does one go about making a counter argument to them? What if the listener, rightly, refuses to grant them as 'facts' in the argument/exchange?

The examples I used were meant to show you how hopeless that becomes. It almost hurts the ears at times.

A simple example is Splendors trying to support a worldly position with a bible quote ... to an atheist. A counter example is bunny's "it's a personal experience ( I may be misphrasing)" and not claiming it could add weight in a public exchange.

Essentially, we can't grant private knowledge privileged status it the public arena. If your reasons are 'subjective and personal' but somehow 'right', then so are Akhmed's or Chin Chows. Yet the conclusions drawn from them are in direct conflict and all can't be 'right'.

You like to claim 'other sources of knowledge', that does not mean I should acknowledge them ( or Ackme...).

My position isn't a difficult one, why would I back down from it. How could I back down from it?

luckyme