Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2007, 04:04 PM

Default Re: My experiences with cigerette smoking

I quit smoking two weeks ago, having been a 10-20 a day smoker for four years.

Here's the way to quit that works for me: first week use nicotine patches - which have side-effects of nausea, nightmares and insomnia - while reading Allen Carr to convince yourself that it's your pyschological rather than physical addiction that you need to quit. When that pack of patches runs out, it's time for cold turkey. But having not smoked in a week, it won't be so bad. Try to quit smoking at a time when you don't have much stressful stuff to do. The most important thing is to have the Allen Carr pocketbook about quitting smoking. Carry it with you at all times. Read it. He is talking directly to the niggling little voice telling you you want a cigarette. He is telling you how and why to ignore that voice.

I find giving up smoking this way isn't that hard. In line with Carr's philosophy, I reject the idea of using patches for an extended period of time, because it does nothing to address the main dependence on cigarettes which is psychological.

The hardest thing is staying quit. Because six months later when you're feeling healthy again and you've forgotten all the nasty side-effects of being a regular smoker, it's so easy to pick one up again.