Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Are freerolls a good place to practice tournement strategy?

Hello, are freerolls were a good place to practice tournament strategy? I noticed that practicing with play chips just teaches poor tactics (wait until you have a hand, then push), and while freerolls are not exactly like real money, people tend to play better then they do with play chips. I don't want to risk any money until I improve, but at the same time I don't want to practice with play chips, because the level of play is horrible (if you want to win with playchips, play super tight until you have a hand, then overbet, won a lot this way). I was in the money several times and usually finish in the top 5-10 percent in freerolls (isn't saying much, half the people like to go all in), and I want to have more practice before I put in any more money (i've only put in 20 dollars so far in online poker). Despite the stigma of freerolls, people do tend to play better past the first break.

Should I stick to freerolls to gain more experience, or does is simply teach me bad play and I should I play the microstakes?