Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Re: Home tourney - Cash stolen

[ QUOTE ]
I would never put the cash in my pocket, however, as it just seems more transparent to keep it in everyone's sight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and it's in everyone's sight. What happens when you go to the restroom or out for a smoke? Do you take it with you? Will you cover any differences if it's off? What's wrong with keeping it your pocket? That narrows down any sort of problem to only one person. SOMEBODY needs to be responsible for the money from start to finish.

Only one person handles the money! When you're a small group that barely has enough for one table, sure, keep it on the mantle or wherever. But as soon as you start bringing in people who come and go throughout the night, ONE PERSON HANDLES THE MONEY. And that person HOLDS ONTO IT.

It's really really easy. Most people use $20s, so put those on the bottom. On top of the $20s, put the $100s, and then everything else. Order, bottom to top, is $20, $100, $50, $10, $5, $1 (hopefully no singles as they add too much bulk; I keep a roll of dollar coins around for change). Then fold it over so that the big circled sans-serif 20 is facing out. Put it in your back pocket. For me, this is easier to access and handles more quickly than a bunch of money piled up somewhere. People can wait until I'm out of a hand to cash out or rebuy, it's not a big deal. That way I know it's safe and I know that any error is my own fault. Since doing it this way, I've had no problems.

Oh, and it goes without saying that absolutely nobody but me touches the chips in the bank. I keep them in a place that has some physical and psychological barriers to everybody else.

So, yeah, sucks you have this problem, but an ounce of prevention...