Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 AM

Default Re: How do Americans view Europeans?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not all conservatives are hillbilly morons, just as all liberals aren't (<insert random stereotype here&gt

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they are. Some just don't know it.

Being pro-gigantic unnecessary military is internally inconsistent with a belief in small government.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty funny. You would also be one of those folks that say conservative are intolerant judgement machines, which is exactly what you are doing.

There is a different between a "gigantic unnecessary military" and a military that is capable of protecting the interests of its citizens. I'm sure we would disagree on the definition of what that is. We've all seen in the past how good Europe is at protecting itself. While we spend a lot of money on the military making sure we have the best of the best, our actual military size in personnel is not that large for the size of our country.

Also maybe "small" government isn't the right term. It's not about size but about level of involvement. I want government to protect my interests in terms of foreign policy, provide a fair infrastructure and means for me to make my own way in life and protect my rights to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

I do not want a government overly involved in social programs or many other things that I consider the responsibility of the citizens. There is a balance in many cases, and I would choose to be on the right (political right) side of that balance.

Do I think the government can and should create some regulations to protect the environment. Absolutely! Do I think they should require everyone to drive hybrid cars in 5 years? Absolutely not!

And I do know a few hillbilly morons but would not be considered by anyone that knows me to be one myself, except for those that consider anyone who voted for Bush to be a hillbilly moron (and there are plenty of you out there I'm sure)