Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-23-2007, 02:39 AM

Default Re: A very interesting ethics situation and a Bellagio Floor ruling

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have no idea if they still use the traditional rule there, but traditionally he can continue putting hcips in until his hands come to rest outside the bettting area.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have always thought of this rule as typifying the "old ways". Every house where i've played NL in the past 4 years or so has adopted the "one motion or verbal" rule where bets or raises must be done with one motion or the amount must be announced prior to the actor's hand coming off the chips in his initial motion.

I imagine the traditional rule worked because (at least in cash games) there were prolly like < 1000 people or so walkin' the planet who played NL more than 10 years ago.

I mean think about it. I announce "raise", I put out a stack. I then start twiddling my thumbs. After about 10 seconds the player to my left calls. I look over at him still twiddling my thumbs and say "sup bro, why are you actin' outta turn?"

I'm sure that back in the day everybody knew the rule and it wasn't an issue. But if you were to apply it to today's NL world I think you would get some great stories.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most places do the single motion these days. I think it is quite possible that this game was big enough to still be played the "old way." I was also looking at this following up post by the OP
[ QUOTE ]
it's not a string raise unless his motion is stopped.

i.e., if he finishes cutting the chips then announces "two thousand", that's a string bet.

but as long as his hand is in motion cutting the chips and he's yet to make a verbal delcaration he can still verbally declare his bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sure sounded like they play this game by the traditional rules, but perhaps someone that plays in that game could chime in.