Call 4 10.81%
Fold 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Re: EDF Cooking Contest--Pumpkin Challenge

<font color="orange">SPICY GRILLED CHICKEN WITH PUMPKIN MOLE</font>

<font color="orange"> MOLE </font>

Seed 2 dried ancho chiles and break into pieces. Put pieces into a pot on medium high heat and press with a fork for 2 minutes until chiles become more pliable and slightly toasted. Remove from pot and put chiles into a bowl and cover with hot water for 30 minutes.

In the same pot add 2T vegetable oil, 1-1inch thick slice of white onion that the rings have been separated, and 2 cloves of peeled garlic over medium heat. Cook until browned 4-5 minutes. Put onion and garlic into food processor. In same pot add 1 2 inch thick slice of white bread without the crust and brown on each side, approx 30 sec. per side. Put bread in the processor with the onion and garlic. Add 1 can on diced drained tomatoes to the processor and process until smooth. Place tomato mixture into a bowl .Do not rinse the processor bowl.

To the processor add drained ancho chiles, 1/2 c chicken stock and 2 canned chipoltle chiles and blend until smooth.

Add 1T vegetable oil to the pot over medium high heat. Add Ancho chile puree and cook until it thickens, approx 1 1/2-2 minutes. Add tomato puree and simmer until thick, stirring frequently about 4-5 minutes.
Add 1 cup canned pumpkin (yes, canned), and 3c chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until mole thickens and reduces, about 30 minutes.
Wisk in 1/3c heavy cream, approx.1T dark brown sugar, approx. 1/4c bittersweet chocolate chips. Stir and taste, adding sugar and or chocolate to taste. I like mine a little sweet.

<font color="orange"> SPICY CHICKEN</font>

To make the chipoltle glaze add 2 canned chipoltle chiles and 2T vegetable oil to a small food process or blender and puree. Force puree through a sieve to make a thick glaze.

Spread glaze over boneless skinless chicken breasts and salt. Grill approx 5 minutes per side.

Serve chicken with mole sauce on the side. I also served with rice that I simply added chopped cilantro and lime juice to and garnished the chicken with cilantro and lime.

Both the chicken and mole have a decent bite to them so the rice was a nice neutral side. Both Utah and I liked the mole mixed with the rice.
I also like that it can be made with canned pumpkin that can be found year round.This really reminded me of a summer dish. It would be great with an avocado salad and margaritas.