Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-22-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: A very interesting ethics situation and a Bellagio Floor ruling

[ QUOTE ]
So Player2 is placing chips in the "betting area".
He has $400 in his hand. He has not declared an amount. He has cut off $300 in 3 stacks.

Assume Player1 does not say anything at that moment.

Could Player2 say "two thousand" at that point and go back to his stack, or would it be considered a string raise under Bellagio rules (I don't care about the rules anywhere else)?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not a string raise unless his motion is stopped.

i.e., if he finishes cutting the chips then announces "two thousand", that's a string bet.

but as long as his hand is in motion cutting the chips and he's yet to make a verbal delcaration he can still verbally declare his bet.

i'm on both sides of the fence here. fwiw Player 2 tried to angle me and an arguement could be made that he tried to angle Player 1 into betting less on the river, so he got what was coming to him. it's more likely he was making a call out of frustration, but it's also very likely that Player 1 doesn't announce "two thousand" after he knows Player 2 must call if Player 2 hadn't been a douche in the hand against me and in general.

but, yes, as long as you haven't finished your action you can still make a verbal declaration.

i do this often, and never as an angle. i.e., i'm going to bet $140 preflop and i have a stack of chips in my hand and halfway through my bet i realize i have $100 or $120 whatever, I verbally declare my raise amount so I can go back to my stack for the remaining amount w/o it being a string bet.

-Tex