Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-20-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: poker pro - hardest job there is?

Just a few notes...

I don't think commuting makes a job harder. Two brothers both work as accountants... one walks out his front door and accross the road each day. The other catches a train for 2hrs into London, and back home each day. Which one has the harder job? Neither - they're both accountants. Commute is irrelevant, IMO. Which one has a harder time getting to their job? Obviously the second guy.

In regards to number of tables played. Since someone else also suggested playing less tables to make things easier. This is kinda a non-issue, since I started in my inital post "given the outline of 'my job' above", and that was playing 6 tables and 40k hands a month. That's what we're comparing to other jobs. I'm not looking for a way to make my job easier, I'm accepting it for what it is - and wanting to compare it to other jobs.

I get the feeling you play NL? There's a big difference between 6max LHE and NL in number of tables people can manage... playing winning poker at 8-12 tables of 6max LHE is pretty much unheard of at midstakes. There was a thread in MHSH a while ago where the consensus was that to acheive a modest winrate in todays games, people were playing 4 tables on average.

Flexibility. I guess having flexible hours makes it an easier job. It's more the time that I am playing that I was comparing, though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And regarding savings - a midstakes pro will have 6months living expenses ready to fall back on, so that is not an issue. Any "pro" that is living week to week isn't being much of a professional.