Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-19-2007, 10:05 AM

Default positional advantage vs. stack leverage.

this is something i've been thinking about this morning, and i was wondering if any of you guys have any general rules of thumb or ideas on the subject.

lets say i'm in a 6max game, and the guy in front of me is kind of weak post-flop. effective stacks 100bb

hero has 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] otb

mp limps, CO raises to 5, Hero calls, all others fold. 11.5 in the pot.

flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

villain bets 8. he opens with a wide range from the CO, and this flop obviously isn't much help to most of it.

option 1 - fold: we're not going to do this, because the reason we cold-called him preflop is that we think we can push him off hands when he misses, so this would be pointless.

option 2 - call: calling is cheap, and since we are in position, its the most efficient way to gain information. our villain will usually shut down on the turn, and we can steal the pot A-Team style

optioni 3 - raise: if we raise to about 30, villain folds most of his range, beacuse most of it is air. this is more expensive, however it has another advantage. if villain has something like KQ, he is now in much more of a bind than in the previous scenario, where he would just bet again, and we fold. if villain calls, the pot will now become larger than his stack, and he won't be able to get away from his marginal hand. from our point of view, we are risking 30, and we know exactly where we are. from his point of view, he is risking his entire stack, and he's not sure whether or not he is ahead.

i know most people understand stack bind, but it comes up surprisingly little in hh analysis here. i use it a lot more than most do i think. i like it, because it has the added benefit of creating more action in situations where you actually do have a good hand and would prefer to get it in on the flop.

obviously a balanced player should probably use both approaches, at least some of the time. i'm mainly wondering if anyone could share some ideas on what factors should lean a person towards one or the other. for instance, lets say that in the example hand, the board was TT4 instead. should that lean me closer to stack bind or floating compared to the given board?