Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-18-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Absolute Scandal

[ QUOTE ]
For the most part, government has only attempted to prevent fraud and other cheating since the New Deal. While not a primary cause fraud, land swindling, cattle watering and stock market manipulation played a major role in the Great Depression.
I am not as certain as most that the prevention attempts by government have been effective. I do think that the government has been effective in spreading and sharing the cost of such illegality. So in that respect, IMO the intervention by government that began in the New Deal has helped in preventing another Great Depression.

[/ QUOTE ]

The government didn't help us out of the Great Depression, Hitler did that. The Feds misuse of monetary policy by elected [censored] deepened it. THe late 70s/early 80s we finally got an independant Central Bank, and that has steadied the economy. I think regulating poker for things like this is exactly what government is good for. No one else has a stick. If the [censored] hadn't run his mouth and cheated flagrantly, no one would have known. The shufflers are all rigged IMO, but I can live with that for now. The question is do we get a professional or political patronage regulatory agency. I DOUBT the govt will pay what it takes for a good one. Who smart enough to to do this would work for the govt for MAYBE 125k/yr tops? Or who smart enough that wouldnt take bribes.