Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2007, 10:55 PM

Default Six Days of Chaos...What To Do?

I spent the last two months slowly building a nice sum over at Pokerstars. Started with $475 and won almost a thousand there over September. Then, I started backsliding. BADLY.

So I decided to break the curse and switch sites. I went in for the Full Tilt rakeback program and initial deposit bonus. At this point I had tripled my money playing .50/1 NL short stacked at between $60-$75. I WAS up over $1500 and enjoying life, slowly building a nice sum winning $20 here or $15 there.

Since Friday at Full Tilt. Well, let's just say no hand is safe. Set on the flop slow played gives me a straight and a flush draw by the river. Ace high full house gets beat out by a one card quad on the flop. AA gets beat by KK, QQ, or in two particually teeth gnashing instances, J2s and 86s. JJ catches my set on the flop and then gets beat by a set and a flush in two separate hands, both hands I shoved all in on the flop, and both hands were caught on the river by the villian. When I go all in with open ended flush draws from a flop all in, I lose. When someone else tries to beat my high pocket pair doing the same, I lose. I have lost almost every hand I've gone to the showdown that I was playing to win since Friday. It's been ugly. My play has reflected it, and now people are pushing me around. I'm down $800 of my hard earned chips, and it seems like no amount of tight/aggressive, loose/passive playing will break it.

So, when you feel like every hand is going to be check-raised to you, or that river card is going to come and make you throw your keyboard, what exactly do you do? After six consecutive losing nights in such a fashion, I think I need some advice on what to do. Take a break? Play a tournament? Go to a different site to break whatever mental jinxes I've set in my head? Go down in limits?

I've been down, and I've played through it before, but god damnit, this is getting ridiculous. It's no longer even remotely enjoyable right now.