Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2007, 03:35 PM

Default negotiations after home inspection... (buying a house)

I am buying a house (closing Oct 31) and wanted advice on reopening negotiations now that the home-inspection phase has been completed. I'm not willing to walk away from this deal if seller refuses to negotiate further. My realtor is waiting to hear if I have anything I want to "ask" for based on the results of the home inspection.

Only items of note from the home inspection...
1) Exterior Wood trim around some windows and kitchen skylight needs to be replaced due to minor rot in the joints.
will need to hire someone to do this and have no idea how much it might cost.

2) Washing machine needs repair
just spins, but doesn't jiggle the clothes down...I would have never caught this if the home inspector wasn't such a meticulous nit...but that's a good thing ;-) The washer/dryer are v. old and I just saw new cheapo set at Brandsmart for < $400.

3) Steam fan in master bathroom vents right into the attic
needs to be extended through the roof...otherwise potential for mildew. I can take care of this with $40 and a trip to home depot.

4) No smoke detector on second floor
smoke detectors can't be more than $30.

5) Couple of reversed electrical outlets...
no worries...

I look at these as all things that will need to be fixed at some point so why not get the seller to put up a little cheddar.

Any ideas on how to proceed? My goal is to get #1 taken care of...

I have an idea of how I would approach this but would like some outside opinions...thanks.