Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Turbo HUSNGs Big Picture Strategy

[ QUOTE ]
Level 3: maniac.

I did try something that resembles level one for about 15 games, but it made my decisions way harder.

I don't know what most successful players generally use as I don't find myself versus one too often, but it is one that I play against and I feel like they know how to react to me. I don't really believe that there is a pigeon-hole style that works best. Just play, adjust, re-adjust, adjust. I think that quickly attacking my opponent works on two levels. The first is that they have no idea what I am doing at first, and the second is that by the time they do react, I have already set a dozen traps for them to fall into. I try not to think about "later," as I open my game up more at the 15/30 level, and pray I don't see the 50/100s. I think that the best way to play is to think about "now" if there is a time-limit and you know you aren't going to be playing the person in the near future. I don't think that many players adjust fast enough, they simply try to trap me into bluffing them. Big picture strategy for me is to get the game over with ASAP, in less than 50 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your point about adjusting to your opponent is perfectly valid and you definitely have to do this to be a good heads up player. But, consider this: when you raise preflop with two unpaired cards, you'll only hit the flop something like 1/3 of the time. You'll have some draws on top of that 1/3 too. When you only have 30bb and you raise preflop and are called, the pot will be something like 6bb. You fire out a c-bet of 4. You've now invested 7/30 bb of your stack. Would you rather your opponent respect your c-bet or play loosely against you? I'd rather him respect me, because I usually won't have a big hand (as it is heads up). You can argue that you'll sometimes have a big hand when he plays back, but, if we're talking about long term expected value, having your opponent fold to a c-bet where he might have played back will make you more than the chips you make when he plays back and you happen to have a good hand and it holds up. No?