Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

I'm not sure whether I interpreted the limp reraise correctly when I read it, but it thought the point of a limp reraise was this:

If we were to raise to 10BB preflop, we would be offering poor implied odds (assuming 100BB effective stacks) for drawing hands to call; we have a good SPR. But when called, we are likely to be dominated as such a large raise is only called by a tight range.

Now if we limp, the villain raises to 4BB and we reraise to 10BB, we may be offering the villain decent implied odds to call for set value given that they raised (and now have to call only 6BB), but when we consider the preflop action as a whole, they've still put 10BB in preflop with a drawing hand. Essentially, their call of our reraise is fine (from an implied odds perspective), but their original raise is incorrect if they'd known we were going to reraise to 10BB.

This situation arises frequently in no limit on the flop as well. Say it is checked to me on the flop and I semi-bluff, then get reraised all in, but I'm offered the correct odds to call (because of the size of the bet I've already put in the pot). My call of the all in is correct from a pot odds perspective (is +EV) because of my previous action. But the play on the flop as a whole is -EV (for these specific hands, I'm not considering range vs range here).