Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-12-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Overplaying KK?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is it correct for me to say hero induced villan to make a mistake pf?
OK,I understand villan has optimal position but isn't it incorrect to call a 3BB raise with pocket 2's.The chances of making trips are 1 in 10ish.

Am I wrong here? I'd fold pocket 2's in face of a raise,do you think this is an over-tight approach?

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not always right, and it's not always wrong. Ideally, the roughly 1/8 of the time you flop a set, you hope to win your opponent's stack. (It's about 1/8 if you know your opponent does not have a card of your rank, and 1/8.5 if you don't have any information.) However,

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] You don't always see a flop, since someone could reraise behind you.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] You don't get all of the money in all of the time, since a player with AK unimproved or JJ on an AKx flop will rarely stack off.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] You don't win all of the time all of the money goes in. You win about 80% of the time when your opponent started with a higher pair, since you are sometimes up against a higher set, or your opponent catches his two outs, or makes a 1-card straight or flush, or the board plays for a tie. Winning a stack 80% of the time and losing a stack 20% of the time averages to winning only 60% of a stack. You win more frequently against an unpaired hand which hits the flop, but it is still not 100% of a stack.

So, even in position, you can't profitably call more than about 8% of the effective stacks for set value alone, and against some opponents you need larger stacks, or no stack size will make the call profitable, even in terms of the expected chips.
Since the call is about 6% of the effective stack size, and the initial raise was from a relatively early position hence will be a strong hand on the flop more frequently, it looks like it is a close call to me. I think it might be right due to the chance to win against missed overcards, not set value alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry,I'm with up to where you mention % of effective stack sizes.Could you simplify a bit please [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]