Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-09-2007, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Do You Support the Civil Rights Act?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Moral class? What is a moral class?

[/ QUOTE ]

A moral class would be a group of people constrained by the same rules. If we're members of the same class, and it's bad for you to shoot someone in the head it must also be bad for me to shoot someone in the head. Exchanging me for you as the actor in a particular scenario should not change the ruling as to whether a particular action is "right" or "wrong."

If changing you for me DOES change the ruling, then we're members of different classes.

[ QUOTE ]
By food all mean is the right to consume goods, the right to purchase, it doesn't matter what. Bread or nuclear weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, are we talking about consuming them or acquiring them? You've said acquire (and/or "purchase") previously, now you're saying consume. I hope you see why this is not a trivial distinction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay I get what you mean, I would call it a suspect class and say yes. There are certain suspect classes who get "elevated" scrutiny. Without going into it in to much detail this would enable some classes of people whose rights are infrined to automatically be subject to a strict scrutiny analysis, whether or not the right is deemed fundamantal. This elevates the scrutiny of the class and enables more protection to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're not getting my question. In fact, I think when you say you're going to "autmotcially infringe" some people's rights, you're saying you think they DO have the same rights, you just don't care. Now we're into the difference between the *power* to do something and *legitimate authority* to do it.

[ QUOTE ]
Your right on the consumer/right to purchase distinction, I meant right to purchase.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what exactly does a "right to purchase" entail? I would like to purchase my neighbor's picasso for $20. How do I exercise my "right to purchase" it?