Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2007, 08:28 PM

Default If cars were $50...

I'm trying to determine if this is my best hypothetical question ever, or my worst. If anyone has ever thought of this before I will fight them.

Say a car cost some obscenely low numbers of dollars for the exact same quality. What if you could spend around $50 on a car and to repair something like a bumper it would only cost around $5. I imagine that normal insurance would go out the window. I imagine some sort of system where you are forced to pay the person's car you do damage to, but you could just pull it out of your pocket.

So you are driving your car, something like a Honda Civic and you are in traffic. You ram the person in front of you by accident because you got distracted by the girls chest in the next car over. All you would have to do is whip out a $10 or you could wait for him to find out the charges and he could have the repair shop bill you.

I was imagining this scenario on the way home from work today and what made it interesting is that I think it would completely change the way I drive. I would be slightly more reckless. I wouldn't go crazy because I could still kill myself or others, but if I flipped my car and it were totaled, no big deal. Just go and pick up two more cars tomorrow. Repairs and buying a new car would probably be a hassle just like they are now, but maybe even cars could be disposable like paper cups.

I think that if people were pissing me off I would be much more likely to just ram them out of spite to crunch their tire or fender in a slow lane. I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt, but maybe I would want him to miss work and be pissed off.

I'm not sure how traffic would be affected. Everyone might start being reckless. Traffic could go on forever. Anarchy may ensue. I just thought it was interesting to reflect on how, if I didn't have to care about the high price of repairs and insurance, what I would do with my car.

What would BBV4L do?