Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-08-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Science Education in America: Why I\'m Homeschooling My Kid in Scie

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But you have a PhD in Astrophysics. How many parents would you think are remotely able to teach their kid science?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know absolutely nothing about cobbling, yet I manage to procure top quality shoes. I know absolutely nothing about cattle ranching, yet I manage to procure top quality steak. I know absolutely nothing about building a car, yet I manage to procure one I like very much. I know nothing about making clothing, cell phones, televisions, yet I can get all. I don't have to mow my own lawn, change my own oil, or fix my own roof. I trust you see the pattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you are forced to find another teacher for your child because you would be "unqualified" (not the best word choice I would guess, but you get my drift) to teach your child these topics if need be. So what do you do? You find another teacher I would guess (private school or private teacher)... and what happens when this new teacher has a similar requirement.

Parents that do not get involved with the happenings at their child(ren)s school really have a limit to which their complaints hold water.

I will agree that this story is redic and having 80% of one's grade depending on the neatness of a notebook is absurd.