Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Believer? Do I even have a choice?

I would really like it if this post doesn't turn into a Theist vs Athiest battle.

I have been prompted to make this post by, among others, the 'what would it take you to become a thiest?' thread.

There seems to be, (correct me if I'm wrong) a theme that, and I don't know if the arguement only applies to Christians, if you choose to believe in god you are granted salvation, and as a result, will go to heaven. Obviously I am simplyfiyng the issue massively, and I am not meaning to cause offence by doing so. If there is something about the line I describe that changes the arguement I am about to make then please correct me, however, if you disagree with the symantics, or the simplification, but it doesn't change the general line of thought I am attempting to describe, then please indulge me and let it ride.

I once had a conversation with a Christian about his religion. A simplified version now follows.

Him; If you believe in God and Jesus you will be rewarded with salvation. (Insert whatever alternative works for you instead of salvation.)

Me; But I do not choose to believe in something. I believe I am wearing shoes because I have overwhelming evidence of the fact. I can see them on my feet, I remember putting them on. It is possible I am not wearing shoes, there are numerous explanations for that possibility. I may be mad, or drugged, or there may be some alien pumping the sight of my shoes and the memory of me putting them on into my head, but upon wheighing the evidence I have to conclude that I am, in fact wearing shoes. That is what I believe.

Him; But you can choose to act like you believe in Christ. And in those actions you can find him.

Me; How can I act like I believe in something I do not? And what purpose would it serve? Acting like I am wearing no shoes would not alter the fact that I believe I have shoes on. To live like I believe in Christ would be hypocritical.

In short, I am saying, as an athiest what choice do I have?