Old 10-05-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Apparently songs are worth $9250 each...Dumb Jury

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think artists (more acurately in todays world to be some large corporation) are entitled to income from their music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this?

Do you think authors are entitled to income from their books? Actors and directors from their movies?

[/ QUOTE ]
I fully support their ability to make money, but fining people for sharing books and movies I also find ridiculous. They should spend their time finding ways to really influence people to want to pay for their work for reasons other then scare tactics and quarter million dollar fines.

[/ QUOTE ]

How are they going to make money, if music is not property, and Big Evil Corporations don't deserve any money for producing and distributing music?

How do you plan to have any music -- beyond just sitting around jamming for fun, or cover bands -- if it is not property? Who will make it, for nothing? Who will distribute it, for nothing?

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are you assuming they will make nothing? The large majority of people can download any song they want for free, simply downloading isn't being prosecuted so doing something against the law is only a deterrent to a small amount of people, and yet the sky isn't falling. Musicians are still putting out material and making money from it. A lot of fans *enjoy* going out and supporting a band or artist that they appreciate. I myself have bought five albums this year just to get the official copy and support someone I thought was making great music.

The artist or label just has to inspire people to want to do it, instead of using scare tactics.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the real world today, yes musicians are still making money. I am talking about the world you want to live in, where music is not property.

In your utopian world, there will still be lots of fans ready to enjoy music--but no one to produce or distribute the music they want to enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]
You just repeated yourself. You keep asserting *no one* will pay for music, when no one has to now and the only deterrent is breaking an unenforced law (downloading as opposed to actually doing the sharing) and yet people still go out and support the artists they like. How do you explain this phenomenon?