Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: You\'re making an ass of yourself, sorry

Milton, I thank you for your efforts in this regard. I respect your opinions and your breakdown of the many legal matters on this issue. Infact, yours are often the only posts I read. On this subject I have to disagree. An attack from many different angles is needed to win most battles, and often time no one knows which angle will be successful or why.

As an example, I recall a case some years ago here in Arizona where a company wanted to build a hazardous waste incinerator and was able to push most of the permits through without alerting the public. When the public became aware, a few people became angry. They held some protests and more people became aware. The final permit hearing was held a week or so later. This hearing was held in room that held about 100 people and it figured to be more than large enough, being that the previous 2-3 hearings had been attended only by industry officials. Over 400 people turned out for this meeting, and most were upset about being denied entry. When the officials running the hearing refused to rescheduele for another time at a venue that would accomadate everyone, the crowd became unruly. Not violent or aggressive in any manner, just unruly. The Sheriffs office responded and arrested 20-25 people for "shouting and pointing fingers", and it came out in their trial "for simply being present." After the police left the hearing went on as schedueled and the final permit was issued.

Then something interesting happened, the grassroot effort that began as a few people protesting at the state capitol and continued to the public hearing, grew to dominate the news. Not because the incinerator was a bad idea, but because of the way the entire process was handle and because people were disgusted with how the police had handled the public hearing. The govenor ended up pulling the plug on the project.

The point of this whole thing is that, again, you never know where these efforts might go, or if they will be successful. In the above incedent these people where trying to stop this project through involvement in the political system and won because other people grew disgusted with gov't reaction and misdealings. The more different types of effort we have the more chance we have for success.