Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2007, 11:35 PM

Default Strat Question: pf raise sizing w/ premium hands in EP

I was wondering how position determines raise sizing in NL full ring games. If you are in early position (UTG-MP1), and have a premium hand such as AKs or JJ, do you tend to raise more or less than you would with the same hand in late position? I know that there are many other things to consider when determining raise sizs such as looseness of opponents, # of limpers, postflop SPRs, etc. But I am just curious how position alone dicates raise sizes.

I have heard two arguments that conflict each other:
(1) is that you should raise MORE in early position because you dont want to play a hand OOP and would prefer to take it down now.
(2) is that you should raise LESS in EP to keep the pot smaller since you will be OOP th rest of the hand.

I used to subscribe to (1) but now think that it is the incorrect one. It seems to leave value at the table because you are giving opponents exra incentive to fold when you have a premium hand, and causes you to build a bigger pot OOP, which is not good at all.

(2) is beginning to make more sense to me as the better strategy.

I would appreciate it if some of the mor experienced players out there could give opinions/insight into this. Thanks guys.