Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2007, 06:13 AM

Default Re: Endurance Prop Bets (Pool & Ocean) in Turks & Caicos

The water was 83 in the Turks. It isn't possible to equate body heat loss with regard to air exposure vs. water exposure, because water is so much denser than air that you lose body heat over 8 times faster.

Also, there is constantly enough current to cause my body to be exposed to "new" water every second or so, and not water heated by my body.

Clinical hypothermia begins at 95F or 35C. This will cause mildly impaired judgement.

Moderate hypothermia begins when the core temperature falls below 35°C and results in violent shivering and a loss in muscular coordination. The most dangerous of all at this stage is perhaps the loss of ability to make rational decisions.

Below 32°C (89.6°F) shivering stops as there is no energy left to keep it going, this causes the temperature to drop even further and more rapidly. The victim eventually unable to walk will curl up on the ground (or, in my case, the water and drown) completely unaware of others... unconsciousness comes at around 30°C (86°F).

At a core temperature of around 28°C (82.4°F) heartbeat irregularities may occur - called cardiac arrhythmias - this can lead to an uncoordinated twitching of the heart muscle preventing it from pumping blood properly and so resulting in death.

I expect to be into stage 3 hypothermia (Core body temp of 86-87F, but possibly as low as 84-85F) by the end of 24 hours and and preparing myself for this trauma as we speak. While I don't think I will die, I am updating my, errr, documents if it happens.

You guys still think this sounds easy???

One more thing: This is not about the money - it is about the challenge of achieving the (nearly) impossible. Also, in my book, you never back out of a bet you've agreed to, regardless of the risks. Honor and integrity are paramount. The money is..... a reason not to quit. It's really a 200K pot [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]