Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Stack to Pot ratio and how it applies to Omaha

I just finished reading PNLH Vol 1 and just loved it. It really got me thinking about some of the things discussed in it and how they would apply to my regular PLO game.

For those who haven't read it, the SPR part of the book gets you thinking about how big of a preflop pot you want in relation to how deep you and your opponents are. It talks about how your target stack to pot ratio should be low (around 5-8 depending on your how likely your opponent is to pay you off with weaker hands) for hands that are likely to make 1 pair (big pairs, AK, AQ, etc...) and higher for lower pairs or suited connector hands, etc.....

It also talks about how big pair type hands really hate SPR's around 13, but suited connectors love SPR's in that range if you can steal the pot sometimes. Essentially, it gets you thinking about trying to either create a low SPR with big pair hands or keeping the SPR around 20 or so for pot control.

Anyways, this got me thinking about how and if it would apply to Omaha. One simple way that it applies is when you have AAXX and want to play the hand so that you stack off on any flop. If you find a way to get around 25-30% or more of your stack in the middle preflop and stack off on all flops, your opponents cannot get the best of you. So I guess in that situation your target SPR is around 1. I also dislike getting between 15-25% of my stack in as you often feel like you are committed yet against many opponents maybe you are not. So, an SPR of between 2 to 4 may not be ideal for AAXX hands.

So I guess for AAXX, I would say try and find a way to get the SPR around 1 and plan to always commit, if you don't think you can get it that low, then keep it above 5 and play real poker with your AAXX.

Anyone else given the SPR topic some thought in how it relates to Omaha? How about top set or rundown hands, are there ideal SPR's for these, or is the confrontational nature of Omaha on the flop (big draw vs big made hand) such that the line you take will be affected by how deep you are, but there really is no ideal SPR for preflop hands just different ways to play them.