Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2007, 01:53 PM

Default Is it possible to pick up online poker when you play well live.

I have made a decision to quit online play for a while. I do not seem to be capable of making it a profitable, emotional or intellectual fulfilling activity.

If you wish to just say I suck just go to the next thread. I have gotten that a lot on 2+2 but I come here because you usually get the straight dope. If you think I suck tell me why because I really do want to play online.

The first poker book and the one that has assisted me winning more money was The Psychology of Poker. The second was advanced hold'em and the third was The Miller book on low stakes hold'em. I reread these books on a regular basis.

Live Poker:
I win. Simple. I win. I play hold'em, stud, razz, anything but omaha if I can help it. Limit and no limit. Sure I have my loosing sessions but I do well at the table. I can pick up when Joe Bluffer is raising with trash, or Mr. Position is playing position, or when I am beat or when I am not beat, if I am in a way ahead/way behind situation.

On line Poker:
I am a looser. I tilt easily, I am not able to get any info from the table generally or players. If I come on to the table and make an early call I am bet to death, if I fold till I get a playable hand and then the flop misses me it does not matter what I do. If I fold I encourage bets, if I call or raise I encourage calls but no folds. It is as if the other players can see my cards and thoughts and know just how much I like my hand.

I also seem to be unable to classify players well. I know who is in a lot of hands but I never get a hold on if they have cards or not. I know who seems to be over aggressive, who plays weak aces early, who is rocky, etc. I just do not seem to be able to use collected information to beat the table.

I don't think it is the math of the online game, I think that it is the psychology of the online game that I can not get a grasp on.

Another note, I do ok on online sit and gos. I seem to be able "feel" the other players and know when to push them or when they are pushing me, or simply making a move on me. When the chips have value to them I can play them. In tourneys even in a $5 sit n' go the chips have value in time and psychological value that in online micro limit is just not there. I also suck at "free" online poker. It is a jam fest of sub alpha males that just reload when they loose but for some reason they over come the randomness of fun and gun poker and have millions in play money.

Maybe someone will read this and have an idea about what is going on.