Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-01-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Sit and Go heads up play when the blinds are big

If you are HU and blinds are large, its pretty much gamble time. Don't try to play small pots or postflop poker, it just doesn't work except against specific idiots. Brute force is the optimal strategy.

Generally I try to be pretty aggressive on my button, I raise anywhere from about 65% to 100% of my hands depending on my chip stack and the villain's play. If he's allowing me to play pots for free on my big blind, I take it happily with bad hands and shove back with good ones.

Also - when blinds are huge (I'm thinking about STT on Stars where there is 13500 in play and blinds at 400/800+) there is just no value in probing plays. Know your hand values and how they match up, and pick the hand to go with for a hero call*

*When I played SNGs exclusively (a period of about 18 months) I constructed my own custom odds chart - I broke down the hands I felt were most likely to be shoved by a reasonable player (someone waiting for a fair-good hand, not someone only shoving premium cards or any two cards) using PokerTracker, and then built an excel sheet of the odds of each hand against that range, and then basically memorized the chart. I didn't sweat each number, just the general trends of the graphs.