Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Ryan benches Solo for consolation game at WWC

belly - yeah, you're mostly correct I think.
Solo's comments were inappropriate regardless of whether they were correct and I agree that people just don't seem to get that.

You don't think that half the Lakers team thinks the all-Kobe strategy wasn't somewhat ridiculous?
You don't think that the Bears had some frustration with Grossman's performance at QB?

No matter how bad a teammate's performance or whether you thought you should be playing in their place or not you just do NOT say something like that to the press. It just doesn't work that way.

Think about something like the Zambrano/Barrett fight in the Cubs dugout that carried over to the clubhouse later on. They freaking hated each other and were blaming each other for whatever mistakes and couldn't even control their detestment for each other when they were in the dugout and the cameras were on them.

Even with something like that where it is obvious to the public they still don't throw each other under the bus when doing interviews by saying things like, "that guy is a cancer on the team and should be traded. He sucks" and stuff like that.

Here's a quote I found of Barrett's after he was traded:
Barrett called the two confrontations "unfortunate," and said they were behind him.
"As you guys will see, some of the things that happened are not a mark of my character or of my integrity," Barrett said during a news conference before the Padres hosted the Baltimore Orioles. "It's just that some of the things that happened are a circumstance of the way baseball is, and what kind of competitor I am. I play on the edge, a lot."

This is how such "I hate that guy and never want to play with him again" type situations are handled in public.
by saying, "It was an unfortunate situation."

When a player is benched as Solo was yet feels they deserve to be playing then they say something like, "of course I would rather be playing but it's the decision of the coach. I just want to win the game."

Nobody notices such comments though because they are so common and everyday.
These comments happen by REALLY bitter players ALL the time.
And I mean ALL the time.
There's a ton of players out there in every single sport who feel they deserve to play a bigger role on their team and just aren't being given the chance.
But they don't run to the media and say, "I would have made that shot" or tackle or save or whatever. Or, "Kobe takes really dumb and out-of-control selfish shots sometimes and it just kills us" or anything like that.