Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-28-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Quitting my crap job to grind 2/5+ live??

I think the OP's current situation is the most important factor here. He's young, unattached, and doesn't make much money in the job he currently has (and doesn't like). There is no real reason for him not to take a shot at it. What's the worst that could happen? I simply don't buy the idea that he won't be able to get a job ever again. Sure, employers might raise an eyebrow, but just say "hey, it was something I always wanted to do, I had fun and made some money, now I'm ready to be a grownup." I can't believe that former poker players are going to be completely shut out of the job market. It's got to be similar to a guy who went to Hollywood and tried to make it as an actor, or went to Thailand to teach English and hang out, or whatever young kids do that they're passionate about.

Contrast OP's situation to mine, for example: I'm 38, have a wife, a baby and another on the way, and about an $11K monthly nut. I'd have to be a damn fine poker player to quit and be guaranteed of bringing in $11K a month (at least that's how I see it).

OP, this opportunity won't be there forever. Do something you enjoy. This is not a permanent life decision you can never undo. Take your shot while you're young and unattached.