Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-27-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Professional No-Limit Hold \'em Volume 1 Review Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I think you place too much emphasis in the book on achieving a good SPR and suggest making strange moves such as (p225) limping/min-raising with KK. If you limp with KK UTG 8 handed you could find yourself in a multi-way pot OOP with a big pocket pair which is surely a much worse position to be in than having an unfavourable SPR?! I'd think it would be much better to (for example) raise making the pot HU and then play it passively to encourage your aggressive opponent to steal. I think this advice is especially bad since beginner/intermediate players reading the book may well find it hard to fold their KK in a multiway pot OOP when they flop an overpair and are beaten, I understand that you're not saying always limp KK rather than raise if it will give an unfavourable SPR but i just think it is a bad example to give people.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously won't be limping much if there is a low chance of a raise behind. Furthermore, you wouldn't recommend making a mistake early in the hand to avoid making a mistake later. Learn to avoid both mistakes and play good poker.