Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2007, 10:26 AM

Default The Theory of Poker

Nevermind how The Theory of Poker relates to your life. Let's see how it relates to your spiritual life. My argument is that poker parallels a spiritual journey much more closely than an atheistic one.

To be successful at poker you have to be humble, have a disregard for money and always do the right thing regardless of the outcome (because ultimately if you do the right thing you will be a winner). If one is a good poker player then over time following all these attributes that a good player possesses he will develop the quality of "absolute fearlessness" on the poker table...

How does this relate to atheism? Atheism is not a system. Certain religions, however, do have a system of organized rules/beliefs to follow ...They teach humility in order to discern your own mistakes and be able to correct them, to disregard the value of money in pursuit of your goals and that absolute fearlessness will result, for example, in the case of the New Testament where Christ exhorts a follower to pick up his cross and follow me...This is essentially an exhortation to be absolutely fearless in following him....

Note: there may be other attributes to be examined, but this is a new thought I am exploring today...please lambast me as gently as possible (lamb bast pun intended...hehe he)