Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2007, 05:03 PM

Default Bill Maher v. Michael Scheurer and Garofolo(sp?)\'s take on it

on the last Bill Maher episode, Michael Scheurer (he is the guy who wrote imperial hubris and now has a new book he is promoting) says something like: "i don't think we should spend american dollars and lives in defense of Israel."

Maher reacts very aggressively to that statement, which I found interesting cause most people with his political views in general tend to be critical of US/Israel relations (at least in my experience) (and cause he is an athiest so some religious connection to israel would not explain the reaction). To his credit i think he mentioned the reason to be that Israel is the only democracy in the region (but, again, given his cynical views of the US/our "democracy" - lolz, this seems rationale seems kind of thin/transparent)

Janine Garofolo (sp?) took Maher to task on his reaction - basically saying it is reactions like that that stifle any debate, that we should at least be able to discuss US/Israel relations, blah blah blah...

anyway, i thought her reaction to the mini-battle was great, and i thought she was right on with pretty much everything she said during the episode. she seems very intelligent/knowledgeable - way moreso than i expected.

definitely check the episode out if you havent seen it

PIECE